Our Mort's Block Riesling is once again a blend of 100% Watervale Riesling, carefully selected and blended from three unique vineyard sites located only minutes from the Kilikanoon winery.
An excellent vintage overall, despite a few early weather and seasonal challenges, developed into a classic Clare Valley ripening pattern with warm dry days and cool nights prevailing over this time. The elevated, naturally retained acidities, tremendous balance and vibrant fruit flavours a hallmark of the vintage.
Brilliant in clarity, pale straw in colour with youthful green tints.
Intense flavours of lemon curd, floral notes, fresh limes and tangerines awaken the senses.
An explosive core of bracing acidity, citrus fruits and hints of green apple beautifully combine in a long and expressive palate experience. A wine drinking superbly in its youth, yet will provide further reward with careful cellaring.
Clare Valley Wine Show
- Best Exhibition Section Dry Riesling 2015 Vintage
Australian Wine Companion, 2017
- 94 Points
- James Halliday
- Low-yielding, hand-picked vines from Watervale provide the fruit here and dictate the style you might say. This is Clare Riesling in a stern frame of mind. The bouquet is all about lemon and grapefruit rather than blossom and talc, the palate is austere and minerally. Slatey acidity is the backbone and the lasting impression on the finish. Lock it up in the cellar and hide the key.
The Wine Front
- 93 Points
- Gary Walsh
- Lime, light talc-like perfume, almost vanilla florals, and lemon butter. It's light, juicy and racy, delivering a clean burst of flavour, flinty texture, and a dry crunchy lime-drizzled finish of good length. Feels precise. Tastes great.
Wine & Spirits Magazine USA, October Edition
- 94 Points / Best Buy
- Joshua Greene
- A blend from three blocks on a hillside next to the winery in Watervale, this is an expansive and elegant riesling, dominated by the limestone undergirding of the soil in Watervale. Layers of white grapefruit, pear and apple flavors open over the salt and lime stoniness in a generous, silken richness that lasts. It's a racy and powerful vintage of Mort's Block.
- 94 Points
- Austere and penetrative; pristine lime/white peach flavour, lemony acids.
Wine Enthusiast, USA
- 90 Points
- Lisa Perrotti-Brown
Natalie Maclean Reviews and Ratings, Canada
Cellaring: Potential of at least 25 to 30 years