This revered vineyard was planted in 1865 and it celebrates an incredible legacy and history of Australian Shiraz. Located just north or Auburn, the Attunga Vineyard is still producing fruit commercially today and in certain years is released as a single vineyard wine of widespread acclaim.
Available exclusively through the Kilikanoon Wine Club and Cellar Door, the gift boxed 2013 Attunga 1865 Shiraz is personalised with the recipients name, bottle number and a certificate of authenticity. To place your order, please ensure that you include the recipients full name at the time of purchase. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Cropping levels of just over one tonne per acre in an average year, the vineyard produces fruit that is small, concentrated and unique. Traditional management practices and techniques, including individual berry sorting at harvest time, ensures only the highest quality shiraz makes it to the winery.
Deep red in colour with vibrant crimson hues.
A dark and brooding nose, bitumen and tar, fennel, chocolate with hints of wood smoke and charcuterie superbly interwoven.
Opulently textured but offering surprising balance and poise, the primary flavours of dark chocolate, cherry plums and licorice impressively arrive then seamlessly lead into a long finish wrapped in smoked meats, finely positioned tannins and positive acid structure. A wine to enjoy now, but with further cellaring, a wine to celebrate the ages with.
James Suckling, JamesSuckling.com
- 94 Points
- Impressive depth to this bottling of old vine shiraz. It carries essence-like dark plums, licorice, sarsaparilla and woody spices in a confident, assertive mode. The palate's bathed in flavors of rich dark plums and blackberries. Long, dense and succulent tannins hold effortless length. A brilliant ancient-vine shiraz. Drink now.
Decanter World Wine Awards, UK
James Halliday's Australian Wine Companion 2018
- 97 Points
- James Halliday
- Hand-picked, the 150+yo vines among the oldest in the world, destemmed, open-fermented with cultured yeast, matured in French oak (30% new) for 18 months. Deep crimson-purple, exceptionally youthful; blackberry fruit and oak spice, licorice and earth are some of the strings of this Stradivarius violin. The tannin strings are, as always, all-important in providing texture to the structure, and also in their contribution to flavour. The French oak is evident, but is totally in balance.
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
- 94+ Points
- Lisa Perrotti-Brown
- Deep garnet-purple coloured, the 2013 Shiraz Attunga 1865 offers up a gorgeous nose of Christmas cake, blueberry pie and potpourri with hints of incense, chocolate box and cardamom. Big, rich and full-bodied, the opulent, generously fruited palate is well textured with velvety tannins, and a fine line of freshness lifts the long finish.
Wine & Spirits Magazine USA, October Edition
- 92 Points, Year's Best Australian Shiraz
- The windy forest-cool of Clare comes through in this wine from a block of 900 ancient vines. It feels generous, a healthy, clean, fragrant, black-fruited shiraz with staying power. Patient cellaring will reveal its flavor complexity.
Decanter World Wine Awards, UK
- Gold Medal, 96 Points
- Notes of blackberry with raw steak and black pepper on the very elegant nose. Floral components are present on the palate along with polished posh oak. Generous in the mouth with a very good length. Pleasure writ large.
Cellaring: Potential of at least 15 - 18 years with careful cellaring