With the exception of the 2011 vintage, each year since 1997 we have released the iconic Oracle Shiraz. Crafted from old vine fruit grown along the golden hillside in Leasingham, it continues to display the opulence, regional character and varietal power the valley is so renowned for.
Low yielding Shiraz parcels were chosen across our golden hillside vineyards, vinfied separately using time honoured traditional techniques, then aged for 20 months in a selection of new and one year old French oak hogsheads. Bottling occurred without any fining or filtration.
A standout vintage, 2012 has been compared very closely with the famous 2002 vintage, with the ripening and harvest conditions consisting of warm days, cool nights with minimal rainfall and no disease pressure what so ever; perfect ingredients in the production of long lived, flavoursome Shiraz wines.
Brick red in colour with youthful crimson hues.
Elevated notes of ripe plums, dark chocolate, exotic spices and charry oak influences enliven the senses.
A balanced and focused palate, the flavours of fresh berries, cherry plums and dark chocolate feature predominantly, beautifully enhanced and complexed by the long lived natural tannins and classy French oak. A wine easily consumed whilst young but with clear rewards to those you choose to cellar for longer.
International Wine and Spirits Competition
Berliner Wine Trophy
James Halliday's Australian Wine Companion
- 94 Points
- James Halliday
- Interesting release. The flavour profile is slightly different to what you might imagine and/or expect. There's a thick stream of licorice, blackberry, cloves and sappy, cedary oak, but the unexpected appears in the form of truffle, heightened blackcurrant and leather notes. It doesn't lessen the wine; it makes it distinctive. Importantly, at all points this wine feels fresh and fine.
- 93 Points
- Deep violet color. A heady, complex bouquet displays aromas of ripe dark berries and floral pastilles, with a spicy topnote and a smoky mineral accent. Sweet, deeply concentrated boysenberry and cherry-vanilla flavors are sharpened by a spicy nuance and a hint of cola that builds with aeration. Closes with superb energy and breadth, leaving sweet violet pastille and spicecake notes on the gently tannic finish.
Wine Spectator, USA
- 92 Points
- Focused, with fleshy, sink-your-teeth-into-them tannins that provide a terrific structure for the juicy dark berry flavors and peppery accents. Persistent on the finish. Drink now through 2026.
- 92 Points
- James Suckling & Nick Stock
- A wine of real substance and depth. Ripe blackberry fruit and oak is nicely played. Tannins are smoothly layered in sheet-like style. Drink now to 2025
Cellaring: Potential of at least 12 - 16 years with careful cellaring.